Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Midweek Church Visit #1

The kids and I dropped in on the Wednesday night activities at Northbrook. The elementary boys have the traditional Southern Baptist Royal Ambassadors. The elementary girls have a Girls Club based on Keepers at Home. The youth also meet during this time. I was just going to sit in the lobby, but the pastor greeted me and invited me to come sit in on their membership class. I intended to decline since we are still visiting around, but old friends that we went to church with at Evangelical Community Church convinced me to join the class as well. I was pretty surprised to find this couple at Northbrook but I joined the class at the husband's urging.

The class was your typical membership class with a history of the church and the core beliefs of the church. It was a small group and very comfortable. The pastor taught the class personally and he spoke a lot about the importance of relationship in the church body. Hungry as I am for intimacy, this touched me on a deep level.

The kids were fairly pleased with the Wednesday night program. I have started having the kids rate the classes they attend on a 1-10 scale. Tonight we had a 5, a 6 and a 10 that was later lowered to an 8. (By comparison the church we visited this past Sunday was awarded a 10, an 8 and an 8, I believe) Obviously we will not be choosing our church home based on a scale of 1-10, but I was desperate for a way to get feedback from my kids that was more specific than "It was okay" or "I don't know".

I like that their midweek program runs from 6:00 until 7:30. We were home shortly before 8:00 pm; a welcome change from what he have been used to on Wednesday nights. This is a much easier time frame for kids who have school the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment